June 24, 2009

Bitter diatribes of a Latte Junkie

I was searching the headlines this morning, which has become part of my morning routine, and I come across this article:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/LearnToBudget/thats-so-2005-what-were-we-thinking.aspx?page=1

The whole premise of the article is to discuss items that we are going to look back on in a few years time wondering “what were we thinking?” meaning…how in the world did I think it was a good idea to spend money on this or that?! Most of the items on the list refer to consumer lending disasters…loans, houses, cars people buy and can’t afford. But stuck in there with all of the financial disasters is my precious $4 latte. (*gasp*) How can this be?

Okay, I’ve been saying for awhile how completely absurd it is that I fall into the Starbucks breakfast latte trap nearly every day, but this article has me looking at my latte consumption from another perspective. See, when I think about all the lattes I buy, I tend to think it a little silly and almost cute (what’s not cute about a city girl who loves lattes). But when I picture myself sitting behind my desk at home balancing the budget with a bunch of kiddies running around while my husband works his day away at the office…suddenly looking back at my little (okay, more than little) latte habit is much less glamorous. I expect I’ll start wondering how many diapers I could have purchased with my weekly Starbucks expenditures. FACT: if I buy 1 Starbucks latte at $4.07 (that’s a grande) 5 days each week for a year, my Starbucks budget looks pretty disturbing. $1058.20 a year. On lattes. Any moms out there? How many diapers is that? That’s a couple weekend get-aways with my hubby. Would I even trade my lattes for a once/year $1000 shopping spree? Yes. (Not the point?)

Anyway…something has got to give. And well, Starbucks isn’t going to stop making lattes and I don’t think I want to trade my future children for excessive espresso delights right now. Good thing I often opt for a tall latte. ($899.60…dang!)

No comments: